It is now 24 hours since I installed Windows 11 on the upgrade from Windows 10.
If we are honest, Windows 10, wasn't universally liked, I for one stopped using it and went to Linux for awhile and only came back to 10 when I couldn't get drivers and connections for the internet. I was reluctant in doing so, but in fairness 10 had improved in the time I had been away and with a few tweaks, like using Classic Shell start menu, I was able to get 10 under control.
I was reminded, yesterday that 10 was meant to be the last Windows when it was released in 2015 and if my mind serves me correctly this was still the case at least a couple of years ago. Times have changed very rapidly since then and the way that we use our devices, connect to the world and even work are almost completely different. If Microsoft didn't react to these things, people would have found alternatives and with Apple & now Google there are strong alternatives, hence we now have Windows 11 and more that likely we'll have further Windows in the future.
Okay so what about 11? My first impression was that it loads quicker than 10, I am not sure of the exact timings on this, it just seems to do so. There is a real improvement in the look when you start and my method of logging meant I had the date and time displayed. Talking about logging in there are more ways to do so, just chose the best one for you.
You may have seen the previews of 11 with the task bar being the centre, I can't really judge that, because of using Classic Shell means I more or less have things as used to be, but most of the stuff is in the centre, including the redesigned start button which opens everything else up. I can say about the menu which now if far clearer with search being up the top rather than on the task bar. I also like the fact that there are icons for all the apps which I call applications and that when you add things these also show as icons.
Turning to the new design of Settings. It is not too far away from 10 to make you worry about things, personally I found it a lot clearer and easier that before. Windows update being just one example. It is worth taking a few moments to have a look around, but most of us won't really need to go to settings once we have set things up the way we like them.
I do like the Store button design which for me is a lot clearer. Once you get into the store, there is far more things there than there was before and again I found it easier to find stuff and liked the look of it.
11 has done away with the nagging to use Edge as your browser, although for some things you are directed there. Also gone is the nagging for Microsoft 365 and the cloud thingy which was a right pain in 10. From a personal view point Cortona has gone from the task bar and is silent as you no longer accidently activate it nor is it included in the search.
11 does come with Teams built into it which I believe you had to get before it you wanted it, I don't know if this is true as I haven't used it and don't have a reason to use it now. This one of many more additions included in 11 which weren't in 10 and you can see a lot thought has gone into things and how people are using their devices. You can delete these if you really don't use them, I did to save disk space, but you really don't need to do so.
11 seems to have had a lot of thought gone into it and I really like that care taken with the design. While with 8 and 10 it was such a huge change, 11 isn't, it is just better in all ways.
So one day in, I would say, if you can do so, go for the upgrade now. I am not sure about doing a clean install as I haven't tied that way and for most people we just want to keep our settings etc as they were and just get on with using it. There is tons off stuff under the bonnet or hood all the gubbings that that techie types love and what makes it work, but really do we need to know about it, I don't as long as it works.
Even at this early stage I think 11 will be as loved as much as 7 was, because I for one do, but even more so as it is easier to use, has a lighter feel and seems more secure.
No comments:
Post a Comment