I have done many upgrades in my time using my PC and Lap tops, going all the way back to Windows '95 including Linux Mint, but by far Windows 11 has been the least painless to do of them all, because, well it mostly does it without any needed watching or in putting from you.
You do need to check via Windows update if you PC or other device can take it and you do that by checking through Windows update as you would normally do and most will be familiar with. I found that it was best to have all the latest Windows Updates installed and indeed it is only after you have done this that you will get an indication if your device is ready for Windows 11. If it is then you might need to wait for it, but let's face it most us want the latest things so there is a nice easy way of getting things, thanks to Microsoft. Before rushing there please back up all your important files onto an external drive, just in case and I say just in case, because personally I didn't have any problems.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11 This is the site which Microsoft has provided and it is very easy to use, but please read through each thing carefully and just don't jump into things. I would also suggest that you should have a back up copy of Windows 10 which, if you haven't already done so, the best way to get this is through Windows Media creation tool for it. This is legal to do providing you have a Microsoft licence which most will have. Once you have down loaded that if you need to do so, then again place on an external drive.
Back to the above site, again for a matter of safety, choose the Create and Installation Media and down load that, again once it is complete, place on your external hard drive. I am a bit of a belt and braces, type of person and believe in taking every precaution, so I also did the ISO image as well, just in case. These will take time to download, but you are only going to do it once so it is worth having them as back ups. Again it is perfectly legal for you to do these if you have a Microsoft licence and it they are for your own use.
The Upgrade Assistant, which is only for the device you are using and how Microsoft advises you to do things, really this could not be simpler to use. Just click on the download and Windows does everything for you. As I was going to do a blog, I watched everything just in case there was something I needed to be personally aware of and make others aware of and there wasn't, it was that easy to do. Windows will tell you that after 30 minutes it will restart and complete the upgrade and advise you to save what you are working on so as not to lose it.
I chose to restart as soon as the download had completed, because again I wanted to see if there any problems with it or anything extra that you needed to do. There wasn't and I was amazed at this, because of past experiences had made me aware there might be, but no nothing. Once the restart was completed, I logged on as usual and while things are different, but not too different to make you scratch your head and wonder what is and where are things, generally I have found they are where I left them in Windows 10. Yes somethings aren't, but then this is Windows 11 not Windows 10. I have also found that my settings were as I had left them and everything I had works the same as before.
So I have to praise Microsoft for making Windows 11 upgrade so very easy. As I said I have done many many upgrades and even fell out of love with Windows for a while, because of them, but now my love affair will continue, because of this. Windows 11 is good, I am starting to play around with it, but really that is part of the fun. So everyone don't be put off from upgrading, don't take notice of those who say it is hard, it really isn't and remember that by upgrading you not only get the newest Windows, but also the latest security improvements as well, BUT ONLY UPGRADE THROUGH WINDOWS UP DATE OR THROUGH OFFICIAL MICROSOFT WEBSITE, AS I HAVE DIRECTED HERE.
No comments:
Post a Comment