Having discovered how easy it was to do an upgrade of Windows 11, I wondered what it would be like to do a clean install, because in previous versions it has not been that nice a thing to do. Those of us who have used Windows for a long time will remember doing the floppy disks and the CD, then the DVD installs which took for ages.
Now there are two ways of doing a clean install. One way is to create and ISO and you may have to use a third party application like for example Rufus. This is okay to do, but you have to take off secure boot when you want to install. Rufus explains this on their website and I think of all the ISO makers Rufus is the best and easiest to use.
Perhaps the easier way of doing it is to use the tool Microsoft gives, which is also free and that is the Media Creation Tool. Using this tool, you don't have to create another ISO as everything is that you need to create the Install is there in the tool.
In both cases you will need a USB which will need to be larger than 8GB. A full explanation of everything can be found by searching Windows 11 download. Go to the official site to ensure you don't get an infected or incomplete version.
I am using the media creation here, but it is the same either way.
You will need to restart you machine to get it to start the install. I usually do it through Settings and reset as I can't remember which key to press and can't be bothered with all the messing around to make sure you set things so it boots to the USB and not back into Windows.
I started my clean install at 09:50
The first screens are as they have always been, asking you what you want to do, etc., then the accept the licence, then where you want to install 11. I did as I have done in the past and that was delete all but the main part of the drive and started from there.
There is a nice new Location screen that comes up which is a lot better than before. A new Keyboard and a new, far easier to use Wi Fi connection. Once you done all of that, the install will check for updates. A welcome addition is the Name this PC screen this saves you having to do it later after you've installed. The Account Screen has also improved and is much easier to use. After that there are screens which you will be familiar with, like how much information about your using things things to give to Microsoft and all the other what you use it for and do you want office etc.
The whole of the install was completed by 10:10 which I was very impressed with as after the re-start you have 11 ready to use and from then on it's how you have the PC/laptop that you have to focus on.
Rightly in the past Linux users have boasted how quick it was for them to do an install and how long it took Windows to do one. I don't think they can boast about that any more, because 11 is quick and in fear of repeating myself the people at Windows have done a great job with this.
So that was it, the clean install ready to make 11 mine. Yes this does take time, because you have to put stuff on that you had before, but you don't have to do it all the time and once it is complete, well you do is add as you go along.
I must stress here that a Clean Install is not the best way to get 11, the upgrade is by far the best way of getting. However, if you need to do it then it really isn't that hard to do, but take your time and read the screens as they come up.
No comments:
Post a Comment