This Monday, Aly and I met with Tim Clover, who is standing for election in Arbory, Malew and Castletown, this was arranged a few days ago and the first thing to say is that he was on time.
I met Tim many moons ago, more moons than either of us would probably care to remember, but Aly had never met him. For those of you who haven't Tim has a good firm handshake and his body is very open.
Two things from the above. With my back ground I am always analysing and reading, it was a form of protection and still is to a certain degree. Tim passed my trust thingy on that score. Touching is also something I do as it means I get a quick read of a person. Sometimes I have to ask, Tim offered his hand which broke that barrier and my quick read again was okay.
It didn't take long to learn that Tim is indeed deeply rooted in our constituency and knows it very well. This is important, because to an extent it means he is one of our own not someone who thinks I'll come and pretend to be. Asking questions, I was pleased to know that Tim had already been into the Social Housing Areas and regarded them as equally important as other areas, something for the last 10 years we've not felt at all. I believe him when he said he would continue, if elected, regard them as so.
Tim asked questions and really listened. He's been doing the same else and again I know that is true because of the replies he gave regarding DLA which he wouldn't have known if he hadn't. Without going into detail, other probes I did also made me believe that he'd been really out and about and listening.
I was really impressed that he asked me questions about my personal disabilities as he had seen my tag line on twitter about Hidden disability made visible. His questioning about my experience with M. E. was genuine and for the first time in years I thought this is a fella who won't just accept the common line given, but actually take time and learn about things. I was surprised that Aly, my wife who tells me off for lending out books gave him my book on the subject, but I forgot to tell him about the https://www.hfme.org/ site which would give him further information.
Both Aly and I probed him time and time again and while we didn't see eye to eye on everything, we both got the idea that he wasn't fixed completely in his views, although you could see his mind working on many things.
I must admit that at time I had fight brain fog so may have meandered and got some facts wrong, but I got the impression that Tim knew how to see through this.
In many respects I got the feeling with Tim, that he was a conviction driven person and would make a great MHK for that reason. He reminds me of Tony Blair in that regard, in that he believes really believes that things can get better and they should. It won't be easy, but we as a nation stood together during the first lockdown and we can do again.
It would be fair to say that after putting up with the present two so called MHKs I would have voted for a 3 legged blind donkey rather than either of them. They've had their chance, now is time to send them knackers yard of history and I won't shed a single tear when you.
If you get the chance to meet Tim and live down here then take that chance, forget what you think you know listen to him and let him hear your voice, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
So yes we will be voting for him, not because we agree with everything, but you don't have to and yes I will be watching and noting. Honestly, I think given the chance and when a few corners are knocked off and the journalist is fully replaced, that he'll be the MHK we deserve and more importantly need.
No comments:
Post a Comment