The Red Sea Scrolls How Ancient Papyri Reveal the Secrets of the Pyramids
I would not have purchased this book, if it had not been suggested to me by my local book shop, Bridge Book Shop, as I didn't have a particular interest in the Pyramids and thought well we know everything don't we. How wrong I was on the last statement and how grateful I am to Angela for suggesting this book to me.
Pierre and Mark take us on a journey of discovery, right from the start and teach us to do away with what we think we know or what perhaps we were taught so think there is nothing more to know. Their collective writing brings the past to life in a way I have not seen, should that be read, before. We learn much about the work of Egyptologists that don't make headlines, these are not Indiana Jones types, not the work of some Hollywood script writer, bur dedication people working in Egypt and making discoveries or hoping to make discoveries, not for personal gain, but mostly for the love it and to enable to us to gain greater understanding of the one place on earth we all fascinated with. Their love shines through on every page and because of that you are wanting more and you get that, with every page.
This is not a book for a quick read, nor should you read it quickly, for if you do then you will miss so much. It took my time to read it and because of that I got more enjoyment out of it and I also think in doing so, I had time to digest the information and think about it. As a direct result not only did I enjoy the book more, but I my appreciation for the Pyramid builders and associated workers leapt.
What I really loved was that they supplied the commentary which in turn meant that rather than distant historical characters, using the Papyri, these people were given their voice once more. This meant that are reminded that history is not made by just a few whose names we know, but of the millions who pass unknown to us and whose names only come to be known to us by discoveries such as this.
There is more that I could write, but that might spoil the enjoyment of others who come to read this book and I hope that is many.
Finally Pierre and Mark, leave us with the understanding that our knowledge of Egypt is far from complete, it is evolving and expanding all the time and while Temples and Tombs are the most visible signs the real treasures lay buried and are the Papyri and other things yet to be discovered like ports and town and villages.
Thank you, Pierre Tallet and Mark Lehner, for a wonderfully written book and to anyone who reads this, I say this, ADD IT TO YOUR COLLECTION AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, YOUR MIND AND SOUL WILL THANK YOU FOR DOING SO.
No comments:
Post a Comment