Saturday, 18 June 2022

DAD

 

DAD


Dad

I am an old man now

just like I thought you were

when I was a lad


My old bones creak

and my muscles

are getting weak

I have to try and find

the words before I speak


What a fool I was

back then thinking your

ways were out of date

and things had changed

and how

I could show you how to live

in the now


I never realised

that you were teaching me

how to be the man

I am now


Dad

you gave me my love of words

my love for knowledge

taught me how to think

to get the answers

not just be told them


I never realised

that you were teaching me

to be the man

I am now


Your patience

Your gentleness

Your mild amusement

Your knowing smile


Dad

I am an old man now

growing roses

like you taught me how

I hear your voice

as I walk around looking at each one

as you used to do


I never realised

that you were teaching me

to be the man

I am now


Dad

I hope you look down

and smile

at this once rebel

with the long hair

and see now

it’s short and grey

and slowly drifting away


I never realised

that you were teaching me

to be the man

I am now


Dad

There is so much more

I want to say

Perhaps my heart

can only find these

words

Thank you

for I am the man

I am today

because of you



©merimaat 2022


FOR MY DAD RON



No comments:

Post a Comment

Manx General Election 24 September 2026. A personal reflection

 The Manx General Election took place on Thursday 24 September 2026, it was our chance to elect a new government for the next 5 years. I can...