Saturday, 20 November 2021

I have fallen back in love with Firefox internet browser

 Do you remember back in 2002 when we had Windows XP and that came with Internet Explorer? That was all we really had and while IE wasn't really that bad, it did what is was meant to do, but it was limited in what you could do with it. 

I remember 2002 very well, because it was the year that Firefox was launched as an internet browser and suddenly we had a far better browser than was available at the time, one we could make our own not have what we were given. Fair enough, we were limited with search, but at the time we didn't really bother about. Firefox offered add-ons and extensions, that I had not seen before and was I believe the only browser at the time to do this. What is more, while it was built by  Mozilla, it wasn't owned by any of the big companies.  

I still think Firefox broke the mould for internet browsers at the time and it one that others have tried to follow since then.  I was a total convert and told everyone I knew about. I forgot how to use Internet Explorer and it was only when I was forced into to doing so that I used it.  Yes I really loved Firefox. Sadly that love didn't last, because there seemed to be too many updates and the theme I loved didn't work any more so I stopped using it and went for a browser that was based on Firefox where the theme did work. 

Over the years I have tried various internet browsers on various operating systems and while I have for the most part liked them I have not loved them as much as I did Firefox. 

Recently, I wrote a blog, which I have deleted, about internet browsers, putting Google Chrome as my favourite, because I thought it was easiest to use and had all the extensions on it that I didn't think were available elsewhere.  To be honest, now I think, it is because I really like gmail so much that I came to this conclusion rather than actually thinking really about what the browser was doing and how much of my information it was storing. It was reading an article in a magazine, that made me think, wait a moment, have I fallen for the Corporate, well everything is based on Chrome so you might as well use it line?

So I went and had a look again at Firefox, this time with the blinkers off, to really test it out. At the time of my writing the version is 94.0. 

1. Download and Install was very smooth and quicker than Chrome.

2. Importing of Bookmarks and passwords, was easy and they were all there, unlike with some other internet browsers I had tried. 

3. Completing  setting up Firefox was so very similar to the first versions, I can't say if it is the same, as I honestly can't remember. What I can is, is that I found it easier to do than with other internet browsers.

4. The extensions I used in Chrome, I could use the Firefox version which was the same, working the same way.

5. PDF I have found easier to read than in Chrome as they get more room and seem clearer, why I don't know.

6. DRM is enabled in Firefox which in some other forks it isn't and I could never find out how to do it.

7. DuckDuckGo which I like to use as my internet search engine works without any delay, which I find works as well as google search. 

8. I liked the fact that my passwords were not in the main body of the setting page and adding or editing them is, to use that word again easy.

9. While Firefox likes to be your default internet browser, you can turn off the nagging to make it so. 

10. I like the fact that now Firefox has colours the surrounds, don't really know what it is called, but now I have colour I like and easy on my eyes for the task bar thingy.

I really want to find something I don't like and I really can't and that is something I felt about the very first version back in 2002. 

While I will keep Chrome as a back up internet browser, I really have no need or any great desire to use it any more and have stopped doing so now. I still like gmail and blogger from Google, but that's about it really and that was the real reason why I used Chrome, perhaps the only reason.

Yes I have fallen back in love with Firefox and I really think that this time it is going to last. You may well disagree with me, but it suits me and I love the feel and ease of use, it has everything I need and nothing I don't which is what I want from an internet browser.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Manx General Election 24 September 2026. A personal reflection

 The Manx General Election took place on Thursday 24 September 2026, it was our chance to elect a new government for the next 5 years. I can...