Thursday, 12 December 2024

Women in the Valley of the Kings etc. Kathleen Sheppard. The Cure for Insomnia, my honest review

 When I first leant about a new publication about the Untold Story of Women Egyptologists,  I was really excited and ordered it from my local bookstore as I always do.  I had to wait and wait for it, but I didn't mind as I thought it would be worth it and the book would add to my knowledge and open up new areas for me to explore.  I have never been so disappointed by a book in my life and in truth, I have found it hard to complete and in the end gave up on, because well I don't have insomnia but if I did this would be the cure for it.

If you care to "plow" through it there are some interesting things, the trouble is that you'll be so bored that you probably will miss them.  What a person's sexuality has to do with Egyptology and why the mention of it is beyond me and this completely put me off the book, but I carried on in the hope that it would get better - it didn't.

In comparison to this book, I have recently read Women in Intelligence  by Dr Helen Fry, which gave the facts about the women as well as the work they did.  Dr Fry kept the narrative going and I learnt much that I did not know and enjoyed reading this book so much I have now purchased another book by Dr Fry.  The author of this book could do well by reading and learning from Dr Fry.

I really don't have much more to say about this book and this is my honest review of it - well intentioned but misses out on so many levels and I honestly couldn't recommend it to anyone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Manx General Election 24 September 2026. A personal reflection

 The Manx General Election took place on Thursday 24 September 2026, it was our chance to elect a new government for the next 5 years. I can...