Safari is the internet browser that come pre-installed on Apple operating systems including the latest version Ventura.
It is not unusual for operating systems to come with an internet browser, Windows for example used to come with Internet Explorer, which many of us probably used first of if we used windows and now comes with Edge. I know that various Linux operating systems come with Firefox pre-installed. There are a lot of benefits to having one pre-installed as it means that we can quickly go on line either to change our browser choice or for other things we want to do.
I do not know the history of internet browsers on other systems only that as far as I am aware, Firefox was the first to offer an alternative to Internet Explorer as I chose to use it as my browser and I remember the excitement of having a different browser to use. Since the choice of browsers has grown, with Google Chrome and Chrome based browser now dominating this area and more recently browsers like Brave and now DuckDuckgo offer a greater deal of privacy (we are told) than other browsers do.
I first came across Safari when it was available on Windows and I really liked it then and would have continued to use if it had not been taken off that Operating System. So that was the last time I used it and since then Firefox has mainly been my browser of choice until Brave.
What I dislike about Safari is that I can not as yet use Facebook Purity or Ublock Origin for twitter trending and on some sites there is more adverts than page to view. With the latter there may be a way of stopping those, but I have not found it yet. These are the only real negatives that I can think of.
What I like is that it is fast and pages load quickly. You can bookmark easily and can ask it to remember passwords and it reminds you if you have used the same password on different sites. You can clear your history if you want to, but it will remember your history and date it which comes in handy if you've visited a site and can't remember what it is called as I could not the other day. You can open it in a Private window if you wish to do so, say for a payment transaction. There is also a very helpful Help if that makes sense.
Safari comes with the now expected, open where you left off or at the home page which you can set either with a web page of choice or the Safari Start Page, which I like as all your favourites sites are there and I find this useful. As with many other browsers the Start Page is customisable to suit you.
There is the usual choice of search engines to use, Safari by default uses DuckDuckgo (on Ventura) which is as good as any, but sometimes I like to use Google as that is perhaps the best.
You can have as many or as few tabs open as you want at one time. Unless I am switching when copying and pasting I only have one open and in honesty we can only really read one web page at a time.
While I do have another browser installed, I hardly ever use it, because I really like Safari for all of the minor complaints I have about it, it does a great job and really that is all I ask of any browser. For all of the reasons I have stated here I would recommend using it as your default browser and yes I do really like it.
Having checked I know that Safari is available across all hardware that has IOS installed, like iPhones and iPads.
No comments:
Post a Comment