As you read this, you may even be thinking, if he can write this well, he can't be disabled. Please note this is a written communication written over days, via a computer with a full spell checker in place and via a machine and not in person.
No one wants to really admit that we are less abled or differently abled to what others are or what we used to be like. Yet many millions of us are and we have not really had a voice, because we just don't seem disabled!
I know I am not the only one who has through the years not be able to cope in situations socially and in other areas of our lives, which many others take as being just a normal part of living. I know that I am not the only who in truth cut down on what they do and would have rather been called depressed, rather than face things which are hard if not impossible for us to cope with. We are the missing millions from society each one of just trying to get through each day. It really should not be this way and it should never have been this way.
https://hiddendisabilitiesstore.com/insights/category/invisible-disabilities is a great site to visit if you have what is known as a hidden disability and for others to learn what they are. You can also purchase a SUNFLOWER LANYARD WHICH IS RECOGNISED INTERNATIONALL AS A SIGN OF SOMEONE WITH A HIDDEN DISABILITY. I have done this and I have a card attached which gives my name a contact and a contact number as well as any special needs on it. My wife who is also my carer has a card which is A CARER CARD showing she cares for someone with a a hidden disability.
I took the step of of getting these, because the older I became the harder I have found it to cope and because, quite honestly I was fed up explaining or it having to be explained when I was having a meltdown and not coping. It was also for me another step forward of being honest and saying, yes I have a disability/ies that make my life hard. Now I have the Lanyard I personally feel more confident when going out that people will take note that things might not be as they seem.
I really wish that I could say that my wearing my lanyard has meant that I don't no longer and let's call it as it is prejudice, but I STILL DO and I know that this is the experience that others face as well.
If you see someone with the Sunflower Lanyard and don't know what it is, please ask if we are able we will answer you, or if not then our carer will.
If you have a hidden disability and don't yet have the Sunflower Lanyard, get one, let's get as many out there as possible.
Please people take note of our Sunflower Lanyard, we wear it for a reason and that reason is not obvious it shows we are DISABLED in some way or another and NEED extra help or understanding. PLEASE GIVE US THAT UNDERSTANDING WHEN DEALING WITH AND PLEASE REMOVE ANY PREJUDICES THAT YOU HAVE - WE DIDN'T ASK TO BE DISABLED IT IS JUST WHAT EITHER WE WERE BORN WITH OR WHAT HAS HAPPENDED TO THAT HAS MADE US THAT WAY OR A COMBINATION OF BOTH.
No comments:
Post a Comment