Wednesday, 6 January 2021

Internet Security why I chose to install Bitdefender

 Like so many people I really don't know that much about Internet Security, because it changes all the time and it is very hard and confusing to keep up to date with things. This is made worse by so many scare stories about Windows and this and that threat. 

Okay so some basics, Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender, which is very good as it comes with a firewall, the thingy that keeps some nasties out while letting you do things on the internet. For most things it is fine and scores highly on everything I checked out. I did a lot of checking out and ended up completely confusing myself. However most "independent" sites said it was great, but you might want to consider extra protection if you do banking on line. 

So this is where it gets even more confusing, because to be honest there are few "independent" sites on line and when you search you are confronted with advertisements all the time and it gets you no where. Now the usually reliable How to Geek, is great, it explains things and then directs you to Malwarebytes. Which kind of gets you thinking, it is not as independent as you thought it was. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with above, but it really does what its name suggest looks for malware. 

One sight that I would say take a look at is https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-security-suites?test_uuid=001OQhoHLBxsrrrMgWU3gQF&test_variant=a which I personally found to be okay as I could not see that it favoured one over another.  I would say don't stop there look at other sights as well and I would suggest if you really want to know https://www.av-comparatives.org/test-results/ is a good site and most internet security and anti virus providers seen to say we got this score on here. 

After I did all of this and even went to Currys for help only to be told by a nice young man things I knew (by this time) not to be true, he, being a salesman, tried to flog me something I didn't need. 

To cut a long story short I went for Bitdefender, because I could put it on all the devices I wanted to do so and not have extras I really don't need. Yes there are additions if you need them, but if you want that level of security then go for a different one. I also went for it because it was one that was constantly rated everywhere.

The best price for it is via Bitdefender and if you read the instructions and follow them it is easy to pay for and to start installing. The download and install are fairly straight forward and you don't have to be an expert to do them. A word of caution at an extra price Bitdefender will offer to do this for you, but most won't need that help. I also found it was easy to add it to another device which just involves sending a link to it.

Once installed I did a full scan and was a bit concerned when Windows told me that I had no protection, but this is okay and soon resolves and Bitdefender takes over that and you really don't need to bother about it (although it is frightening to see).  It is also set to automatically update so once you've set it up you can forget about it. Personally I like the added protection it offers for online banking. 

As I say internet security is confusing, but in the end it is up to you if you have it or not - I have chosen to do so for that extra peace of mind. If you go for one then check it is suitable for you and don't go for one with all the bells and whistles if you don't need them.  Windows Defender is good for many people, but I would avoid "free" internet security suites, because, well there is no such thing as a free anything. 

It is my personal and I stress personal opinion that if you want the added protection and peace of mind than Bitdefender is the one I would and could recommend from my personal experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Manx General Election 24 September 2026. A personal reflection

 The Manx General Election took place on Thursday 24 September 2026, it was our chance to elect a new government for the next 5 years. I can...